Thursday, March 22, 2012

No. He’s not my brother






My situation is a little unique. In two months I will become a wife … and a step mother. I’m 21- years-old and he’s nine-years-old. Let me draw you a little picture.

9 => 21 => 32

What does this mean to you? Not much. It didn’t mean much to me, until a little over a year ago. Michael is 9, I am 21 and Brandon is 32. Michael and I are 12 years apart and Brandon and I are about 11 years about.

Yep. Almost an even split.

I went looking for a wedding dress the other day and I brought Michael along, so I wouldn’t have to go alone. My consultant asks “Is it just your brother with you today?”

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh, he’s not my brother, he’s my future step-son.

(Icky. I wish there was a better way to say that. “Step-son” has such harsh connotations.)

While this would seem intimidating to a lot of people, I’ve never really thought too much about it. I keep getting questions like “How does it feel knowing you’re going to be a wife and a mom?”

I guess I should feel some fear of the responsibilities I am going to be taking on, the consequences my actions will have for all of us, but I’m not.

I grew up playing Mom. When you have six younger siblings and you start unofficially babysitting at 11 you don’t think too much about little things like being a step-mom.

Plus, I always enjoy when we have Michael. Its my time with my boys. Sometimes Michael is like a son: When we do family activities, clean house, limit video games and read scriptures but there are times where Michael is like a brother. We love pulling pranks on Brandon and last weekend Michael and I went rollerblading and made homemade swords--my recipe.

In the end, its kinda funny, Michael actually asks me for permission to do things, not Brandon.

1 comment: