Thursday, April 28, 2011

Where have all the genuine people gone?

Our minds are filled with Facebook, cellphones, email, phone calls, twitter. I can't help but wonder where a good conversation can be found, where a real ear turns to listen?

Sincerity seems to have disappeared, sincerity has turned into selfishness. I can't remember the last conversation I had where the person ACTUALLY cared what I had to say. I can't remember the last time --besides talking to my mother and my boyfriend -- that someone gave a damn as to what I had to say.

Its not just with me. I see it with others. I've witnessed conversations where it seemed the other person was just talking to a wall. My belief: If its important to you, then its important to me.

You want to be a good listener? Quit nodding your head at me and saying, "yes" and "cool." Anyone can say that and not be listening. Try ACTIVELY listening. Ask someone questions, make a comment.

How many people do you chase away with your insincerity? Your lack of interest?

There are some people that I don't bother opening up to, my answers and my comments are very blaze'. Why? Because they've never given any indication that they care. The best friend is someone that follows up, even when they are busy.

Its the simple things. How are you? Hows the relationship? Job? My friend J.R. proves that he cares, even though I know he's busy, by asking me how I am, what I am up to. My other best friend, Lauren, shows she cares even when she is busy.

Its not that I'm looking for proof of your friendship, I just won't treasure your friendship as much as theres because they're sincere people. I like to think I am sincere, I try to be.

I may have a boy friend, I may be stressed as hell but still I am always there for my friends, for strangers, for anyone who may have need of me.

I sense that you're there but how fully are you really there? BE sincere. Give me your ear. Yes, you're helping others but how sincere, how genuine is your caring?

BE the sincere person. Listen. Act. Listen.

3 comments:

  1. The rapid decline of sincere and genuine people, is caused by social medias demand for people to broadcast who they are, what they are, in a rather shallow attempt to show the world I am here, I want to be seen and noticed, this has turned many people to be self centered and more determined to advertise what role they play in society and how they fit in.

    However finding a gem that appreciates social interaction in its full form is incredibly rare, I would know because I am one of them, and my search for individuality has been a long term disappointment. this is the 21st century, what was once before is long gone, although I got over it, i appreciate it pure nostaligia.

    I am there, but here in the online world, I cannot fully Listen, Act, Listen, because it doesnt feel natural, it doesnt feel genuine or sincere. but in the real world, thats a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say 'modern life is rubbish'. I have been coming to terms with the sad realization that there are few genuine people around. I thought I had some in my life, but as it transpires they were the worst kind of users, the ones that fake genuine sentiment when it benefits them or the situation, or their 'image'. But of course you cannot fake being genuine, the two concepts are enemies. The art of communication has been molded by the digital age and transformed in a wave of apathy, why express the desire to converse with somebody when you can 'poke' them on facebook or whatever.
    It seems to me that people willingly reduce themselves into shallow caricatures, in a desperate attempt to be accepted by the group, which results in higher self esteem and less negative emotions, negative feelings are something most people will spend most of their lives trying to avoid, instead of accepting them as a part of life.
    In my opinion only people with balls are willing to make an effort to have a genuine connection with the people around them, because being genuine can result in genuine pain, where as shallow un-genuine and self absorbed behaviour leads to less pain, due to the fact that the person's self interests are always the desired goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to say that such behavior is a norm now a days. Everyone thinks there's a hidden agenda in every smile or a gesture. It's hard to be true and genuine for people thinks your not. By the time they notice that you genuine person well you'll already battered by fake people. Genuine people end up crying.

    ReplyDelete