Thursday, April 28, 2011

A mother that stands out from all the other

When I say that I have the best Mom, I mean it. No one has advised me better, loved me better than my mommy. What do I remember about my Mom?

I saw many things that others did not. I saw her courage, her compassion, her fierce, determined belief that her children can be happy. She spent hours each day homeschooling me, even though I complained, whined and sassed her at every turn. I remember her helping my brothers and sisters, loving my brothers and sisters. She did this unquestionably, even when they cursed her name, brought her unnecessary pain.

I remember my brother beating the walls, threatening her life and still her speaks her name as though it were something dirty. Why? I can't begin to understand. And with all this, she continues to love him, continues to welcome him home, continues to help him. Her many long trips to Baltimore, with an infant. Her many long trips to offer love through her actions. My mother isn't one to spew gushy words that mean nothing, she's one to show her undying, unquestioning love through her actions.

She's done what had to be done. She's made decisions that weren't easy, that caused her pain. She made decisions that made her "the bad guy" when it would've been so easy to do what wasn't good for them.

I remember all the parenting books. I remember her studying those books. Trying their techniques and learning through her own mistakes. She, in my eyes, has practically mastered the are of being a mother. I remember all the time she helped me to become the best that I can be. I remember being chased by dogs when I was little, crying and screaming and my mom throwing rocks at them to chase them away.

I remember being sick and my mother placing a cold washcloth across my forehead, sticking medicine in my applesauce because she knew I hated the taste.

All the phone calls she answered from me, all my silly complaints, my needy, fearful self looking for love from her mother and receiving it.

I think of all the miles she's driven for us, thousand and thousand of miles, I don't think any mother has driven as much as mine has for her children.

10 babies, 20 years of diaper changing, and years to come of raising angry, moody teenagers and yet she loves all of us, dedicates her life to us, never lacks in giving us attention, when we would let her.

I remember the hurt, the betrayal she's suffered and yet still she loves.

My mother is extremely intelligent, she didn't have to let herself stay in the home, taking care of us but she did.

She didn't let her past, her parents poor parenting, lack of parenting be a crutch, stand in the way, she rose above it. She gives her family the best they can be given. She gives to the family, even when their disinterest hurts, their lack of time hurts, their lack of caring hurts.

So many question large families, question how one woman can adequately raise all those kids but I don't question my mother. I wouldn't change any of the decisions she's made. I know she made them from love, from trusting God.

She's learned, she's grown and she's never quit on any of us. She's loved us.

Imagine spending years, in the house, raising babies, toddlers, adolescents . . . all at the same time.

And yet, she found time for each of us; soccer, football, tee-ball, softball, baseball, band, cheerleading, violin, piano, whatever it was, she always helped us to pursue our dreams.

I remember the many people who came up to me as a child, told me how wonderful my mother is. I understand now. I have the best mother. No doubt.

She's a beautiful, selfless woman, mother, wife and daughter of God. Happy Birthday Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment