Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Facebook: Tracking the stressed, the depressed and the suicidal


Yes, Facebook is a great way to social network but what other purposes does it have?

Needy, lonesome people commit suicide. Lonesome, lonely people get on Facebook. Are you seeing the connection I am making?

I sure hope so. I feel that Facebook can be used as more than just an outlet to stalk old boyfriends, brag about your current boyfriend and post wedding photos -- I'm currently doing all those things, yes, even the wedding pictures . . .

Facebook currently has over 500 million members, 1 in 13 people on earth use Facebook. Over 30,000 suicides occur a year, that is approximately 83 suicides a day. 14 million people suffer from depression and only 20 percent of people who suffer from depression are diagnosed.

Do we want to leave these million suffering? Isn't there a way to fix this problem? I hear stories of Facebook being used to bully, to inflict pain on others. With people posting "fat" comments, "ugly" comments and other demeaning things on people's walls. But Facebook can provide an opportunity to reach out to those that need to be reached. Its an an opportunity to find those who are reaching. I see the constant statuses, depressing statuses. I see morbid pictures. I hear their cries. I should answer those cries.

And, of course, this goes for all the new, modern technology that we so eagerly embrace. There is a lot you can do with what you have, with what you have been pointlessly been using.

And I'm not saying to just look for the suicidal, the depressed. Oftentimes, you can find those that are stressed, those that are hurting, those that have traumatic experiences, those in need of help.

This is a great way to really be a friend on Facebook, be a real friend, use it for something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment