Monday, April 22, 2013

Mistakes I made applying to a PHD program


So, I didn't get into a PHD program this year. I only applied to five schools and two of those had an acceptance rate of about two percent or less. I want to share where I went wrong. I want to tell you the mistakes I made when applying to a PHD program and what you can do to get in the first time.


GRE--
GRE masters phd application didn't get in
Retake the GRE, if your scores are low or average.
Alrighty, I had good scores, they met each schools qualifications but I'd say they weren't good enough. You want to score above the schools qualifying scores. The higher the scores, the better. 

Set aside time to study for the GRE, and use all your resources--books, online etc.




FOCUS--
GRE masters phd application didn't get in focus focused
Make sure your application is focused.
I applied with a very broad focus. I didn't know who I wanted to study with and what I wanted my focus to be. This was probably one of the greatest flaws in my application. How are they going to give me a mentor faculty member when they can't figure out what it is that I want to do?

Make sure that you specify what your research focus is and why they're school is a match for you. Identify who you want to study with. 

Have a strong focus and a strong background with that focus. This brings me to my next point.

PUBLICATION--
GRE masters phd application didn't get in publication published journals
Try your hardest to have something published before you apply.
Try and be published, try to participate in a conference. Make sure your name is on the web. Make sure you've made an impression with the schools you've attended.

Either work to have your work published individually or at least work with a professor to get something published--work on getting that professional byline. 


NETWORKING/CONNECTION--
GRE masters phd application didn't get in networking connections professor faculty
Network. Use those connections from undergrad and masters.

Ask your bachelors or masters professors that you worked closely with where they went for their masters and PhD. Ask them to write your recommendation for you, if you apply to the school that they went to.

If you know a big name, don't be afraid to drop it, don't be afraid to ask them for a letter of recommendation.

Make sure you make a connection with the faculty at the school you are applying to. Whether its through your application or if you start emailing or calling them about their program before you apply. I wouldn't be afraid to get in touch with the person you are hoping to do research with.

AGE/EXPERIENCE--
GRE masters phd application didn't get in youth age inexperience experience
Age doesn't matter but experience is crucial.
I thought that being young, being a go-getter would give me a boost. It didn't. If you're young, don't try to use the youth card to your advantage. It doesn't work, if anything it will hamper your chances of getting in.

But don't be afraid to emphasize your experience in the work world and the academic world. Experience counts for a lot. Make sure you are involved in your school, your community and all other facets of your life.

Maybe this was all brain dead stuff for you, but I didn't think about this crap until it was too late. Talk to your professors now. Don't be afraid to ask them and others with similar backgrounds to yours for advice.

Hopefully this blog post will give you a better chance of getting into a PHD program the first time.










2 comments:

  1. Don't think I see a Phd in my future but will pass along if I know anyone! I'm sure you are totally crushed but there is always a plan. There is always an answer although not always what you expected! Chin up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mistake was not asking me for a letter of recommendation. The letter would have looked exactly like this:

    "To whom it may concern,

    Sincerely,

    Pete."

    Bam. Accepted.

    ReplyDelete