Monday, January 18, 2010

Back off

Get married. This is what I hear every time I go home, every time I tell someone I’m a junior in college, every time I go to a CES fireside and practically everyime I breathe. I come home for break, the little old man in the ward (you know the one who looks as though at any moment he will keel over) shakes my hand, tells me I’m such a beautiful young woman and then asks, “when are you getting married?”

Its that or I get told by my non-member grandparents that I don’t need to get married till I am 30. They tell me this but they look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I don’t have a boyfriend. They don’t understand that when you get a boyfriend at my school you are as good as hitched.

If you’d been getting questioned about your relationship status since you were 17 you’d write this too. Maybe its because I’ve always looked older. At 14 I was asked when I was leaving for college and I’ve been getting the marriage question since I was 17. I’m only 19 now but everyone thinks I’m some old decrepit woman whose off the market because she still can’t get married. I try to be sly and sneaky and skip a grade and all I get is trouble for it.

Aging cream. There’s my solution. If you put enough of that stuff on you’ll look like an infant eventually, right? I’ll try anything to fight the overwhelming questions of singleness. In the real world the average female doesn’t get married until 26 or 27. I have 8 years! If I were to go back 8 years in time I would be 11. Does anyone want an 11 year old to get married? No? Then leave the 19 year-old alone. This logic may seem a little twisted but so was the idea of me getting married at 17.

I guess people don’t realize that I have my head set right and straight on my shoulders. I didn’t come to college to get married—despite half the female population who did. I came here to college get an education. If marriage happens then it happens. I’m doing what I’m supposed to and so if that opportunity comes along then I won’t brush it off but until then I’d like the questions to stop of my marital status to stop—unless I am filling out my tax forms-- so I can focus on school and stop worrying about the pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment