Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just another weekend.....or was it?


Another day, another weekend, another week and here I am being the diligent blogger that I am. So I had a slightly interesting weekend if not amazing. I've adjusted to home life and the routines and regular annoyances have become part of my life.
Friday was the most uneventful, but very relaxing, day. I drove an hour to work and then drove an hour home in the sticky humidity of Southern Maryland--that I love very much--without AC. I came home and played tennis, swam, weightlifted and watched "Spies Like Us" and fell asleep reading. I love relaxing days where nothing special or unique happens but you still manage to have fun.

I didn't get any naps or lazy days this weekend, not even a Sunday nap. Saturday I woke up and drove an hour to Point Lookout with my brother.

Point Lookout is a very historic place on the east coast and is also one of the most haunted places in the United States. During the Civil War over 52,000 confederate soldiers were imprisoned there. The actual Light house was rumored to have kept people in there against their will during the Civil War, which explains the rumors of it being haunted.

Anyway I went for the Flag Rasing Ceremony;An American flag hasn't been flown there since 1966 and they raised the first Maryland flag there that day too--so in a way I saw history in the making. I spent my time interviewing and being given a very detailed tour while at the lighthouse. I actually was allowed to walk through the Wharf which is a restricted area right now because the floors are rotted and birds are nesting in there.

I also spent some time "rubbing elbows" with Senator Dyson who was present for the ceremony and tour. To make things even more interesting I saw the Stake President visiting the lighthouse on my way out and was given a lift to my car by a great group of retired people who volunteer all over fixing up lighthouses.

Well after that I went home and did some swimming and weight lifting and then left to go babysit until late that night. The kids are really cute. Beccas(7), Elli(4) and Julia(18months) are good kids and they are fun to play with. I rocked Julia to sleep and then I read to the girls. Being there made me wonder what it will be like when I am a mother. What will it be like to have someone call me Mom and to cry for me, Mom?

Today in Sacrament meeting the Bishop challenged us to work as a family to read Matthwe, Mark, Luke and John before Christmas and so have another great project to work on. Today I taught in Primary. My class was a little crazy but we did our best to have a good lesson and then I went home. Not much else happened. We threw a "no body" birthday party to mess with my Mom's head. You should have seen her face when she walked in the kitchen and we started singing happy birthday. It was altogether a good weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment