Friday, January 14, 2011

Take comfort, you're not as dumb as this guy

I worked at a gynecology office one summer as a receptionist--the Doctors referred to me as their intern but I wasn't; I never want to have my hand in that field.

I remember feeling like an idiot for most of the internship. I never fully knew the medical lingo and some of the people I spoke with were not happy that I couldn't tell them what was wrong or squeeze them in for that day.

Actually most of the people I talked to were downright mean. What makes it worse is when you can' even understand them. Some would have African accents, they were in a lot of pain or just old.

You got something going on down there and you're not going to be happy either. Its even worse when you've got something going on down there and it is your fault.; or you find out your husband of 20 years has given you an unfriendly infection/disease because he's been sleeping around.

So, I usually felt dumb (not to mention my feelings were frequently trampled upon) but there was one phone call that I like to call to mind whenever I feel knocked down to a particularly low part of the intellectual food chain. I'm just going to feed you the dialogue.

Characters:
ME: Receptionist
DORIS: Recetionist. Doris is interesting. Nothing really fazes her but she does get annoyed with stupid people. She was actually dating a guy from the President's secret service and would complain because "he's always talking about his job, what do I care?"
AFRICAN MAN: He had a very strong accent and so when he called I thought he trying to make an appointment for his wife, since their women usually don't do things for themselves.

ME: Hello
AFRICAN MAN: Is this doctor's office?
ME: Yes, this is the gynecology office
AFRICAN MAN: I'd like to make an appointment
ME: For your wife?
AFRICAN MAN: No, for me
ME: Sir, this is a gynecology office, a female doctors office
AFRICAN MAN: I know
ME: (I don' know what to say, so I put him on hold and go over to ask Doris) Doris, there's a man who wants to make an appointment
DORIS: You told him this is a female doctor office, right?
ME: Yes
DORIS: Ask him why he wants an appointment
ME: (I go back to the phone and take him off hold) What would you like to make an appointment for?
AFRICAN MAN: I want to get pregnant
ME: You mean for your wife, cause women get pregnant, not men
AFRICAN MAN: No, me. My wife can't get pregnant and I want to do it for her.
ME: Sir, men can't get pregnant
AFRICAN MAN: No, I saw I on TV. I want to make an appointment.

Well I didn't know what to say. I handed the phone over to Dorris. She simply told him that we only take female patient and hung up the phone. He continued to call and we continued to tell him no.

This story always makes me laugh and feel like there is at least one person dumber than me existing on this planet. So, take comfort if you understand the concept that only women can get pregnant. You are at least smarter than one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment