Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Working woman


I'm going to talk about me for a few minutes. You want a versatile girl? A versatile employee? Look to me. I've got experience doing a lot of things. One time I made $30 packing insulation in an attic for a couple hours and thats only the start; actually, its the middle.

I started working at 12. I babysat. When I say babysat, I really mean babysat. The people I first started working for used to drive 45 minutes to pick me up. I'd spend the night. I was in charge of four kids. One was only a few months old. Did I manage? Yes. I did that for four years.

During that time I also refereed soccer. This job only lasted a year. I hated it. You ever have the coach of 5-year-old soccer team yell at you? Lame.

And so I moved on to greener pastures. I volunteered at the library every summer for three years. I was a little library obsessed for few years. I get a thrill going to the library. I'm a nerd, its true. I volunteered at a hospital for one year too. I was a "Candy Striper" but I didn't sell candy. I mostly stocked things, made sure patients had water.

I started college at 17-years-old. I came home that first summer and I worked at a Gynecology office, right outside of D.C. It was an experience I will never forget, never. I've seen something . . . I've heard some things that I don't care to repeat. I think my favorite part was entering labs into the computer.

I answered a lot of nasty phone calls, filed a lot of charts and sometimes I typed up official documents for the doctor. During that time I also worked in the marketing department at a concrete company, Chaney Enterprises. They spoiled me there. Took me out to lunch, celebrated my birthday, entrusted projects to me.

I took a lot of photos and designed a few things too. They rehired me a few months later for a few week to make some training videos for their company too.

After all this I started officially working at my school newspaper. I had just been writing but not I was making the 'big bucks'. I worked there every semester for the next 6 semesters, until I graduated. I worked my way up to the top and tried my best to revolutionize the newspaper. I had a lot of laughs, a lot of good times. I learned to be a leader. I learned to run a newspaper. I also had the opportunity to run a couple magazines too. It was a fun, learning experience.

One summer, while working at the gynecology office, I also wrote part-time for a local newspaper in Maryland. I covered local events, fun things. It was an enjoyable, relaxed and interesting experience.

I graduated at the age of 20. I immediately started interning at Deseret News in Utah. I've been there for 6 months now. They are considering keeping me a part time employee for the summer and maybe longer, while I attend graduate school. Yes, I am going to graduate school at BYU. I will be there for a couple years and they're also paying me to be an employee for them, while I am getting my masters.

So, if things work out accordingly I will be working two jobs and going to graduate school. For this summer I will be working part time at Deseret News and when I am not there I hope to be doing some construction work with my boyfriend to make a little more money.

Thats my story. I'm an experience woman, a woman thats not even 21 yet. So, give me some credit, fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment