Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm a penny pincher, you can be one too part 1

I sometimes tend to be tight-fisted, a miser, stingy, cheapskate, moneygrubber but I can also be thrifty, prudent and frugal.

I mean there's nothing wrong with buying expired food and eating it, right? I can walk out of the grocery store with my shopping cart full of food and I don't spend more than $30.

How do I do this? I shop as this little known dive in Salt Lake City that gets expired food or cancelled food shipments and then they sell their stuff for super cheap.

We'll get blocks of cheese for a dollar. Cookies for a dollar. Candy for a dollar. Sometimes we'll get these things for even cheaper. And don't think they only sell the cheap stuff. Most of the food they sell is top of the line.

There are some guidelines though, I don't buy any sketchy stuff. I have some dignity: No produce, no dairy except cheese, no meat. I mostly buy bottled juice, canned goods, packaged goods and frozen goods.

The place is disgusting. People push and shove to get food. And like I said, sometimes their some sketchy stuff there.

I like to take a couple weeks break before going back so I can rid myself of feeling like utter filth, but the deals are great and the food tastes great too--most of the time. We've been going there for months and no food poisoning yet.

2 comments: