Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I've decided to stalk Peter today

Peter, I know you've wanted to be stalked and so I have stalked you (PS: Love the new family photo ... eerie, how did I know about that?).

So, here is my blogpost about Peter.

I remember I hated Scroll [college newspaper] my first year. I was shy, young and withdrawn. But, after a year, I began to change. It was Winter 2009, Peter was editor-in-chief and Ryan was managing editor. I decided from the start that I didn't like my job and I didn't like them, which is an awful attitude to have but keep in mind that I was a baby at the time.

The semester before was my first time getting paid at Scroll. My editor taught me nothing. She would throw a page at me, tell me to do it and then fix everything she didn't like on that page, without offering any guidance.

But the semester after that, I was doing something different. I was in charge of the whole Campus section because my editor had ditched me. So, 18-year-old Kaitlin took over. I remember telling my little group of students what to do and giving them guidance but I kept thinking in the back of my mind "Why should they even listen to me? They're all at least a year older" (Age difference was HUGE to me at the time). I actually cried after the first week.

But after those first couple weeks, I truly began to appreciate Peter and Ryan. Peter at first was intimidating to me but after offering to help me with my pages on a Saturday, when I was the only one left there, my feelings changed.

I still consider that to be one my favorite semesters at BYU-Idaho. I had to opportunity to build networks and even more importantly build lasting friendships.

Thank you Peter for helping me learn to love something I thought I would always hate.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww . . . that's sweet. I'm getting all teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete